Collection - Engines

Aubier & Dunne "Channel"
Manufacture: Aubier & Dunne
Status: Private collection
           Exhibited at the workshop
Georges Aubier and his son-in-law John Dunne founded the company that bore their names in 1921 at Saint-Amand-les-Eaux in the north of France. Their company mainly produced small two stroke engines for motorcycles.

When Henri Mignet met them at a Paris car show, he convinced them to develop an engine for his HM-14 Flying Flea.  
Dr Kroeber & Sohn Köller M3
Manufacturer: Dr Kroeber & Sohn Köller
Status: Private collection
           
This firm specialized in temperature measurement also built a small two stroke aero-engine. Due to its low power, it was mainly used on powered glider and single seater aeroplane. In Germany, its homecountry, it was used on the Grunau Baby and the Möller Stomo 3
ABC Scorpion II
Manufacturer: ABC Motor Ltd
Status: Private collection
           Exhibited at the workshop
ABC Motors Ltd was founded in 1912 to produce aircrafts engines. After WWI, it diversified into the motor industry and produced engines for cars as well as manufacturing motorcycles and light motor-cars. In 1923, a flat twin engine was manufactured for the English Electric Wren that competed in the Lympne Light Aeroplane Trials.
Sarolea Epervier
Manufacturer: Sarolea (Herstal)
Status: Uncomplete  
           Private collection
Tested on the factory roof during october 1934, it was soon fitted on the first belgian HM-14 Pou du Ciel built especially for Saroléa by Mr Pregaldien. The first test flight happened unexpectedly on 22 august 1935.
Sarolea Albatros
Manufacturer: Sarolea (Herstal)
Status: Private collection
           
After the first successes of the Epervier and Vautour engines, Nicolas Lempereur conceived mid 1936 another engine in the same range of power destined for ultra light aircrafts.
F.N. AL.2
Manufacture: Fabrique Nationale of Herstal
Status: private collection on loan
           Exhibited at the workshop
The Fabrique Nationale of Herstal had a famous department of motorcycles before and after WWII which also developed their owns engines.  
An aircraft engines department was created early fifties to built the engines that powered the new jets of the Belgian Air Force and this was the start of a new venture in the FN history.
AVA 4A-00
Manufacturer: Sima-Violet
Status: Private collection
            Exhibited at the workshop
Marcel Violet was a famous French racing car pilot before and after WW One. He designed his own cyclecars and two stroke air cooled engines to powered them. His company Sima-Violet produced both at Courbevoie between 1924 and 1929.
Hepu KFM 40/3500
Manufacturer: Pollmann 
Status: Exhibited at the workshop
           
In Belgium, the Hepu engine was chosen to power the first version of the Tipsy Nipper in the early sixties. As it was not an homologated engine and that it only had a single ignition, it was not allowed for export and was replaced by the Stamo.
Zundapp Z9-092
Manufacturer: Zünder und Apparatebau
                    GmbH
Status: Private collection
           
Zundapp was a famous german motorcycle manufacturer that produced only one aircraft engine late thirties. 
The Z9-092 was a low powered four cylinders inline engine that was fitted on trainers and liaison aircrafts used by the Lutwaffe during WWII.
Lycoming O-360
Manufacturer: Lycoming Engines
Status: Exhibited at the workshop
           
This engine has been fitted on thousands of aircrafts and comprise 167 different models with 12 different prefixes. They all have the same displacement, bore and stroke.
Continental O-470
Manufacturer: Continental Motors Inc 
Status: Exhibited at the workshop
           
This six-cylinder, horizontally opposed air-cooled engine is a family of aircraft engines that covers many variants from 210cv to 260cv.  
The engines were first developed in the late 40’s and certified on 19 january 1951.
Clerget 9B
Manufacturer: Clerget-Blin (Paris) 
Status: Private collection
           
The concept of the rotary engine (the whole engine running around a fix crankshaft) is a french innovation. The last Fokker Dr. I of Manfred von Richtofen had a french engine! And Clerget engines where (and still are) the most sought after french engine of WWI
Jacobs L4-MB ( R-755)
Manufacture: Jacobs Aircraft Engine Company
Status: Private collection
           Exhibited at the workshop
The model L4 appeared in 1934 and was used on numerous aircrafts. During WWII, its military version R-755 powered mainly trainers and light transport aircrafts like the Stearman and the Bobcat.
Walter NZ 120
Manufacturer: Walter
Status: Private collection
            Exhibited at the workshop
The first model manufactured was the NZ-120 and 230 were produced from 1928 till 1934. This engine of low power was mainly used on military trainers and private aircrafts.
Salmson 9 ADb
Manufacturer: Société des Moteurs Salmson
Status: Private collection
           
After their production of water-cooled radial engines during WW1, Salmson decided to adopt air-cooling to reduce weight and increase specific power.  
Between the two world wars, they produced a vast variety of radial engines of 5, 7 or 9 cylinders that met great success and were fitted on many aicrafts.
Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp
Manufacturer: Pratt & Whitney
Status: Uncomplete
            Restorationat the workshop
The Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp was an american aircraft engine widely used in the 1930’s and 1940’s years. Of classic design as a 14 cylinders in two-row air-cooled radial, its first model developed 800hp while the latest versions developed 1200hp.